As a vehicle owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that everything about your vehicle is working properly. Don’t worry, though—you don’t necessarily have to be an auto expert to catch issues. Here are seven of the most common signs that you may need to take your vehicle to the auto shop for exhaust repair in Patchogue, NY:
- Noisy engine: While there are several signs and symptoms of a problem with your car’s exhaust, the first sign is typically an excessively noisy engine. Don’t ignore this noise; in fact, you should pay close attention to it. This could point to a faulty exhaust manifold gasket, which can quickly lead to an exhaust leak that sounds a lot like hissing or tapping. Be wary if the sound is louder during cold starts or when you accelerate.
- Unusual burning smell: A gasket failure that starts a leak near your engine’s wiring or plastic parts under the hood can cause these parts to burn due to the heat from the exhaust gases. If these parts burn, you’ll be able to notice due to the smell. You may also see smoke coming from the engine area, which can happen if you wait too long to get the problem checked out. To avoid a dangerous situation, have your vehicle checked by an auto professional immediately if you smell burning or see smoke.
- Overall reduction in performance: When there’s a problem with your exhaust, you will notice a decline in the performance of your engine. Your vehicle won’t be able to accelerate as quickly as it usually does, and you won’t get the same amount of power when you do try to accelerate. Not addressing the exhaust leak will only cause the problem to get worse.
- Decreased fuel efficiency: The fuel efficiency of your vehicle is likely to decrease right along with the decline of your power and acceleration. This is because your vehicle has to work even harder to function as normally as possible while compensating for the exhaust problem, meaning it needs to use more fuel. The cost of repairing or replacing a faulty exhaust may seem high, but spending a lot more money on gas will be the result of ignoring it.
- Gas smell in the cab: Another sign of exhaust problems is the smell of gas inside the cabin of your vehicle when the engine is on. This particular symptom is usually caused by a damaged exhaust pipe or tube that begins to leak. The fumes from the gas will escape through wherever they can, often retreating to the cabin of your vehicle.
- Unsecured exhaust pipe: An exhaust pipe that is hanging or dragging must be fixed immediately. Partial detachment is often due to a break in the pipe, and although it may not leak, dragging is still dangerous.
- Handling feels off: If you’ve owned your vehicle for a while, then it’s not too difficult to know when something feels off. Communicate your concerns or suspicions to your mechanic as soon as possible.
For the most reliable maintenance services, inspections and exhaust repair in Patchogue, NY, contact Gene’s 112 Auto Service Center Inc. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment!
Categorised in: Exhaust Repair
This post was written by Writer