In a big city, there are literally hundreds (maybe even thousands) of auto repair shops to choose from when your car breaks down. In a smaller city like Patchogue, NY, however, there might only be a few dozen. That makes choosing a reliable mechanic all the much more important. But how do you know who’s reliable? What can you do to ensure you’re making the right choice?
Many times, you’ll have to do a little bit of research before you can feel confident working with an auto repair shop. Thankfully, it doesn’t take a lot of effort to weed out the less reputable shops and vet the ones worth visiting. Here are seven tips for finding the right auto repair shop:
- Read reviews: Jump online and find the shop’s Google Business listing to see what kind of reviews they have. It takes only a few minutes to see what people are saying. Read the five-star reviews and the one-star ones, to get a sense of both the best and the worst experiences. You’ll learn a lot from seeing what others have to say!
- Look for credentials: Make sure you’re trusting a shop with good credentials. That means finding technicians who are Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certified or factory certified for different makes and models. Above all, you want proof that the shop knows what they’re doing!
- Ask a friend: Don’t be afraid to ask for recommendations. Your friends, family or even coworkers are a great source of information for automotive repair shop recommendations, and their recommendation is likely to hold more weight than online reviews. If they’ve had a good experience, it’s likely you will, too.
- Ask specific questions: When you get around to calling a shop, be sure to ask them pointed, specific questions. Do they have experience with your vehicle’s make and model? What’s the turnaround time on specific repairs? Do they offer the specific service you need? The more you know about the shop, the better you’ll feel about entrusting them with your vehicle.
- Get quotes: Be wary of any shop that won’t give you an upfront quote on a particular service. They should be able to tell you about how much parts and labor will cost, and they should call you if that estimate changes for any reason. You want to work with a shop that’s upfront about their pricing and honest about their costs.
- Feel them out: Sometimes the best thing you can do is talk with a shop to get a feel for who they are and what they’re all about. Chat with a mechanic about your vehicle and its problems and see how they interact with you. If they’re willing to talk through it with you and explain the situation, they’re likely worth working with. If they’re dismissive and too busy to chat with you for a couple minutes, it might be time to move along.
- Go with your gut: Above all, trust your gut! If you’ve got a bad feeling about an auto repair shop, don’t feel bad moving on to the next candidate. Sometimes your gut just knows best!
Finding the right auto repair shop in Patchogue, NY might take a little longer than going to the one nearest your home or workplace, but it’s well worth the effort. A good mechanic goes a long way in keeping your car running right. Visit Gene’s 112 Auto Service Center Inc. today to see what we can do for you!
Categorised in: Auto Repair Shop
This post was written by Writer