Summer isn’t too far off, which means road trips and lots of time spent outdoors. Before you head out on your family vacation or long road trip this summer, it’s important for you to make sure your vehicle is up to the task.
Here are a few simple car maintenance tasks you should perform in Patchogue, NY before you take your vehicle on a long, cross-country drive:
- Oil change: If you know you’re close to being due for an oil change, it makes sense for you to take care of this before you head out on your trip, even if you can stand to wait a little while longer. Oil is the lifeblood of an engine, keeping all moving components operating smoothly and without friction so you can avoid damage and overheating. The frequency with which you change your oil will depend on the kind of oil you use, but most synthetic oils allow you to wait for at least 5,000 to 7,000 miles before you need to change them.
- Fluids: It’s important to check some of the other fluids in your vehicle as well before you head out on your road trip. Check the condition and levels of coolant (to prevent overheating), brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid and windshield wiper fluid.
- Tires: Your tires are crucial for the safety and comfort of your ride, as well as for providing you with fuel efficiency. Check the general condition of your tires, paying attention to signs of damaged or worn-down treads. If the tires are in good enough condition to continue using, you should also make sure the air pressure is at the proper level so you can avoid uneven wear and low fuel efficiency.
- Brakes: Brake pads can last anywhere from 25,000 to 70,000 miles. Before you go out on your road trip, it’s a good idea to check their condition. You’ll know the brake pads are starting to wear down if you hear squealing noises while you’re braking. Worn-down brake pads can make it difficult for you to stop your vehicle in a timely manner, and can result in damage to your rotors that is extremely expensive to fix.
- Lights: Check all lightbulbs to make sure they’re operational, including your headlights, taillights and turn signals. Make sure your bright lights are operational, and that all cabin lights illuminate properly.
- Belts and hoses: Look under the hood of your car to check the condition of the belts and hoses (while the vehicle is cool). Squeeze the belts to make sure they’re tight and to make sure there isn’t any cracking or brittleness. Check the hoses for signs of leaking fluid or damage.
These are just a few examples of some of the most important checks to make and maintenance steps to take with your vehicle before you head out on a summer road trip. For more information about car maintenance in Patchogue, NY, or to schedule an appointment for service, we encourage you to contact the team at Gene’s 112 Auto Service Center Inc.
Categorised in: Auto Maintenance
This post was written by Writer