The brakes are one of the most important features on your car. Without working brakes, you’re a danger to yourself and every other driver out on the road. Continue reading to learn a little bit more about your brakes so you’ll better understand when you might need brake repair in Patchogue, NY.
Signs you need brake service
Knowing when to take your car in for brake service isn’t a guessing game. See a mechanic right away if any of these signs apply:
- Strange noises: If you hear a squeal when you apply the brakes, it’s a sign that your pads are wearing thin and need to be replaced. If that squeal turns into a grinding noise, the brake pad is nearly gone, and you need to bring your car in as soon as possible.
- Poor brake response: Your brakes may become a little less responsive as time goes on, but if they suddenly become “spongy,” you’ll need to bring your car in right away. There could be air in the brake line, damage to the caliper or a number of other problems that require repair.
What does brake service entail?
Brake service is a fairly in-depth procedure. These are a few of the tasks a mechanic performs when your car is having its brakes checked:
- Wear measurements: Brake pads, rotors and drums all wear down over time. We just need to be vigilant of how much wear there is. Worn-down components will lead to brake failure and possibly a car accident.
- Fluid test: Brake fluid can absorb water, which is a big problem! Moisture inside brake fluid can cause the braking system to malfunction. We’ll perform a test to ensure the brake fluid doesn’t contain too much moisture or other contaminants.
- Line inspection: Finally, we’ll perform a line inspection to ensure that it’s not corroded or damaged in any way. If there’s significant damage to the line, we may need to replace it altogether.
What happens if my brakes are bad?
We’ll need to perform immediate brake repair in Patchogue, NY if any issues are found. Here’s how professional mechanics can help:
- Pad replacement: The most common brake work we perform is swapping out old pads for new ones. Brake pads can last for up to 50,000 miles, but it’s best to replace them sooner rather than later to ensure your safety.
- Resurfacing: We might also want to resurface the rotors. Resurfacing provides a fresh surface for your brake pads. With resurfaced rotors, you’ll notice less vibration while braking.
- Fluid exchange: If your brake fluid is found to have excess moisture or other nasty contaminants, we’ll flush it out and replace it with new fluid. This procedure should be performed every few years anyways, but it’s common to have a fluid exchange performed along with other brake work.
If you’re worried about your brakes going out, or if it’s been a while since you’ve had them inspected, come see our team at Gene’s 112 Auto Service Center Inc. We specialize in brake repair in Patchogue, NY, so you know your car is in good hands!
Categorised in: Brake Repair
This post was written by Writer